Two Sundays ago, the bishopric released someone from the YW organization and also the primary secretary. They immediately read a name for the YW calling to be sustained, but did not read a name for the primary secretary position. I knew right then and there that I would be the new primary secretary.
A week later the primary presidency was released and guess who was called as the secretary? Yep--me. This will be the second time that I'll be the secretary and it makes me really nervous. I just don't feel the the organized, secretarial type. On top of that, there are 120 kids in this primary, so organizational skills are going to be vital to this calling. I guess I'd better learn fast!
Unless you do not count the six months I spent in nursery--which within the primary organization--all of my callings have been in the primary for the entire time I have been in a family ward except for two months as the choir pianist. That's almost four and a half years, four different wards, and one branch!
So far my favorite callings have been (in no particular order): nursery, primary chorister, and primary pianist. I especially loved being the primary pianist in my last ward since I was asked to play at many of the children's baptisms as well as convert baptisms. I enjoyed being an integral part of the new ward member's special day.
8 comments:
Sucks to hear this but don't think things would be better in St. George. Around here it seems to be doctrine that every woman under 40 gets a primary calling, especially if you're new in the ward! Really, don't get me started on "callings". I'm surprised your piano talents haven't be exploited more. In our ward they've only found two sisters that can play, so one gets sacrament meeting and one gets primary!
I actually do like the primary, I am just nervous about being the secretary! And I have played the piano a lot--either in the primary or in addition to a primary calling!
Also, Bill, in Germany the majority of the people were under 40, so people served everywhere!
I think you are awesome in Primary!! I'm glad you got put back there. Seriously. I got called to primary teacher exatly THREE Sundays after being in our new ward and ONE of thsoe I had subbed!:) I'm just meant to be in Primary and I really DO love it (even if it would be nice now and then to got to RS or Sunday School! :) )
if I had to be in Primary, I would pick the secretary job! I have been the Primary secretary in almost every ward I've been in. I'm not super organized at home, but get me into Primary and I've got it all figured out LOL now I'm a RS teacher and it scares me everytime I have to teach! :p
Monica,
You are great in primary. I always enjoyed your sharing time presentations!
Ginger,
How funny--I would love to teach RS, but this is one of the few callings I feel like I never mastered! You'll have to give me some tips!
Janell--Hip, hip hooray for Primary. I'm the Primary President in my ward and can honestly say that I LOVE MY CALLING! I think Primary is the best kept secret in the church as it really is the best place to be on Sunday. You will do a great job. Check out www.sugardoodle.net for any ideas, questions or suggestions. It's a great resource.
Gotta love Sugardoodle! What would I do without it? I actually think that the nursery is the fastest two hours in church. :) I LOVED it.
I like the primary too, I was just worried about the organizational skills required to be the secretary.
Luckily, the last secretary planned out ALL of the talks, scriptures, and prayers until the end of June!!! That should give me some time to work out a good system.
Post a Comment