Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Arizona



I find it outrageous that President Obama, regarding the new Arizona law, said, “If you are a Hispanic-American in Arizona, your great-grandparents may have been there before Arizona was even a state. But now suddenly, if you don’t have your papers and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you’re gonna be harassed. That’s something that could potentially happen. That’s not the right way to go.”

That is not true.  A police officer can only ask for proof of citizenship if you are breaking the law (in another way, besides being here illegally).  Of course, as I heard someone explain it, there is some definite liberal-progressive logic behind the president's argument.  Since the president has described himself as a progressive, I'll just assume that this is what he was thinking:

Progressives are trying to outlaw unhealthy food like the bill in NYC proposing to ban any use of salt in restaurants.  The First Lady herself is concerned about childhood obesity and "food deserts".  So, in the President's forward-thinking mind, it will eventually be illegal to to eat at unhealthy, fattening ice-cream parlors.  In that case, the police would have every right to ask for your citizenship status.  See, it's perfectly logical!



4 comments:

The McBride Family said...

At first I was like oh no I may have to not write on this post b/c I don't want to get into in with Janell but then you continued and I love what you wrote and couldn't agree more!! :)

The Mortensens said...

Monica,

I edited the post so the reader would know a lot sooner what my position was. Wouldn't want anyone going away with the WRONG impression!

Nina said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Wow...

Keeler Klan said...

HA! Right about that one!