Apple-Apple Bread Pudding just out of the oven.
When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a scientist or an inventor. I remember when I was about four years old, I took a piece of white bread and, determined to invent something, anything, I squished it into a ball. Disappointed that nothing grandiose came from my work, I wondered how people invented things.
Now, as I am learning to bake, I marvel that the same basic ingredients are used over and over again to make new and delightful desserts. Milk, butter, salt, vanilla, eggs, flour--these are stirred, mixed, cooked and baked in different ways that produce something that will make your mouth sing. Sometimes less frequent ingredients enter into the mix like bread, for example.
If I had only know early on in life how bakers combine these same ingredients in different way to create (or invent) new desserts, maybe by now I would be taking that same white bread that I crumpled into a ball and making it into my own, never-tried-before bread pudding.
Instead, I am content to learn from Dorie and her vast array of dessert recipes how to make these treats. No inventing for me. Not yet anyway!
I'd have to say it tastes pretty good--kind of like French toast, but with chunks of apples.
Please head over to Elizabeth of Cake or Death to see the amazingly beautiful outcome of her bread pudding and for the recipe!
4 comments:
what a fabulous pan of pudding! you will be inventing your own desserts soon, i'm sure!
It is amazing how many different things you can make with the basics. Your bread pudding looks yummy!
I too have often thought the same thing - the same ingredients, a milliion different recipes! sooo much fun.
Isn't baking fascinating? Dorie's bread puddings are the only ones I like and this one was no exception. Yours looks great!
Post a Comment