Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday's with Dorie: Banana Coconut Ice Cream Pie


This week's dessert, chosen by Spike of Spike Bakes, was very easy to make.  The only cooking or baking involved was browning the coconut in butter.  Usually I am a fan of coconut, but I thought it was really overpowering in this recipe.  Also, the addition of the banana mixed with the ice cream should be left out.  In my opinion, it made the chocolate ice cream taste funny.  Maybe that's why Dorie calls for lemon juice and rum to be added to the mix.  I left out the rum and used lime juice since  I didn't have any lemons.  I couldn't taste it anyway.  The bananas on top, however, were a great addition.  

To sum it up, if I were to make this recipe again, I would change the crust and leave out mixing in a banana with the ice cream.  My family and I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of our favorites.  

Please stop by Spike Bakes to see how her version turned out, and to get the recipe.  Of course, to get this recipe and many others, you can always buy the book Baking: From My Home to Yours.  I highly recommend it!

7 comments:

Hindy said...

Your little one looks so happy with that slice of pie!

Cindy said...

There are many ways to mix this one up. I like a recipe with possibilities!

Flourchild said...

Sorry the crust was not a fav...I agree though you can mix this recipe up to suit your taste!
I love the picture of your happy child!

Tia said...

I did a twd rewind...lenox biscotti... b/c bananas/coconut are not my thing :)
i love the expression on his face. priceless.

natalia said...

Ciao ! Nice picture ! I liked it but think all other possibilities would be great !

alvarosa said...

Hope your son enjoyed it as much as he looks like!

TeaLady said...

Left out the chocolate, but it was good with coconut ice cream. So many possibilities here tho'.