Friday, March 26, 2010

Erik Turns Two

On the 24th Erik officially turned two.  I say "officially" because he has been acting like a two year old for a while now!  To celebrate, we went with our former neighbors and friends to the Japanese Gardens.


It was a beautiful and sunny day.  The kids had so much fun running around the gardens, climbing the steps, looking at the fish, turtles, cats, and flowers.


Erik was such a big boy on this day.  He didn't want any help going down the stairs or anywhere else.  He finally relented to me helping him down a very steep trail.








What's that up there?

After WWII, the name of the gardens was changed to the Chinese gardens.  The name was just recently changed back.


After the trip to the gardens, the kids had ice cream and played outside.  Then Erik opened some presents from his friends.




The next day (Erik's official birthday), we had cake and opened presents.  I made one of Dorie's recipes for the cake.  It was called Gooey Chocolate Cake.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  It is so good.  Warm and crunchy on the outside with gooey chocolate on the inside.  I'd have to say it is one of my favorites.  I overestimated on the amount of chocolate, so a couple of them turned out too big, but it still tasted heavenly.

This is me trying to be creative with a limited amount of time.



Blowing out the candles.

The birthday boy.


Everyone enjoying the cake.

Erik especially enjoyed it.

I wish I could have captured on film the look of delight on Erik's face from getting an airplane for his birthday.  It was priceless.






Now, for memory's sake, I list some of the things that Erik does, says, and loves:

--Most frequently used word/sentence: "no" and "let go of me."  (Can you tell he has an older brother?!)
--Favorite foods: eggs and pizza ("peepa")
--Erik LOVES to dip his food in sauce.  Sometimes he'll just keep dipping the same piece of food and just eats the sauce.
--Erik is very determined.
--Erik will defend his brother with his fists from perceived and real threats.  I would think it was cute and funny if he didn't do it to us too!
--He loves and is very attached to his blanket.  He won't let me put it on his bed during the day--just in case he "needs"it.
--He love to eat and he also LOVES dogs.

We love you Erik!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

TWO!! How did that happen? Wasn't he just born?

I'll bet Erik and Jonathan are quite the little buddies now. It's so awesome when your kids get old enough to play together and be friends. It's so fun to watch their interaction.

Tia said...

so pretty! I love the pastel colors.