Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Thoughts On Potty Training

I think it is now safe to announce that Jonathan is potty trained. ( I had to wait to post this one because you know how Murphy can be.)  Here are my thoughts on the subject:
  1. Don't try potty training when your six, seven, eight or nine months pregnant.  It just takes too much energy.
  2. Don't let your kid stay in pull-ups.  Jonathan was first potty trained in July.  He did a great job, even when we traveled to the States.  When we came back he decided he would only do a twosie in the potty and not a onesie.  Baffled and disappointed, I let him stay in pull-ups. I was grateful that he was at least still pooping in the potty.
  3. Be stronger...than your child that is!  YOU are the adult.  I decided on New Year's Day that I had had enough, and that Jonathan was going to be trained.  I put him in underwear and didn't give into pull-ups no matter the situation.  Then I decided that he MUST use the potty first thing in the morning and other times I deemed necessary.  He fought me tooth and nail while yelling that he didn't have to go potty.   Of course he needed to--it just wasn't his idea.  After a few days he started cooperating more and even going without me reminding him. 
  4. If your kid has an accident after being potty trained don't worry, they're just little kids after all.  But do reinforce where to go potty and that it is expected of your child to go in the right place.  
I think Jonathan could have stayed potty trained from the summer if I just had followed #2 and #3.  Of course, that's why they say "hindsight is 20/20."  They only thing he doesn't do on his own is wipe--which leads me to my next post. Stay tuned! 

4 comments:

BurnsFam said...

I believe potty training is a two parent job. And it is true you have to remind yourself that you are the adult and in charge! I hate pull-ups! They are just a diaper that pull up, hence the name. I don't believe they help in the potty training process. I am also a believer in the 20/20 hindsight. After training Kennedy I realized how much easier it was to train the boys! Congrads on getting the job done! And for the wiping themselves, I cringe at the thought of letting my 3 year old do it. She sure wants to though.

The Mortensens said...

It surprises me that it was harder for you to train Kennedy than it was to train the boys. Everyone always tells me that boys are more difficult than girls! Maybe it's just different for each kid!

Keeler Klan said...

Haha! You crack me up. :) I just LOVE reading your posts...It's true. You'll be a trained expert now when it's Erik's turn! We all learn on our first kid. :)

-Amberly

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

Thanks for the advice as I'm embarking down this road in the next month or so.