Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday's with Dorie: Pineapple-Almond Drenched Vanilla Cakes



For this recipe, I substituted pineapple juice with a little almond extract for the rum.  I ended up using the entire amount of liquid called for in the recipe even though I had cut the recipe in half for the cake.  I really like how it turned out.  What I think made it stand out were the pineapple and almonds on top.  At first I just had the pineapple and it seemed like something was missing.  Adding the sliced almonds was just what this cake needed.

Thanks to Wendy of Pink Stripes for choosing this recipe.  If you'd like the recipe, be sure to stop by her blog.

Now for two other Dorie success stories.  I made Snickery Squares for my husband to take to work.  That was one of the recipes made before I joined.  It was a big hit.  A co-worker said that eating the Snickery Square was "...one of the best 30 seconds of [his] life."  Haha!  I guess it was a hit!



At my husband's work, everyone is responsible for bringing a cake for the person whose birthday falls after theirs.  That person just happened to be my husband's boss, so I knew the cake had to be good.  I chose to make the Perfect Party Cake because I remember it being a fabulous cake.  This time it came together much more smoothly, and it was enjoyed by everyone--coconut and all!


19 comments:

Cristine said...

Mmmmm! I bet it was great with pineapple! Everything looks beautiful!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cake looks so yummy with the pineapple and almonds. I've made the perfect party cake at least 10 times since I joined the TWD group - it is soooo good.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

mmm...a delicious collection of baked treats!

Paula said...

Pineapple and almond?? What a creative combination!

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tia said...

totally tropical and totally creative!

Hindy said...

You've been busy! Everything looks gorgeous. I'd love to try this cake with pineapple.

TeaLady said...

All 3 of those look fantastic. Pineapple and almond sounds tasty.

Peggy the Baker said...

Your pineapple-almond cake looks yummy! And I think the snickery squares and the perfect party cake are two of the best recipes in the book.

AmyRuth said...

Wow your ovens have been doing the two step! You have been busy. I'm pretty sure your husbands boss was in heaven. I love that cake recipe. I haven't made the snickery squares but they do look delicious. Must work those in sometime soon. To the vanilla cakes what a great idea to use pineapple and almonds. Sounds refreshing. So pretty too. Thank you for stopping by.
AmyRuth

Piggy said...

Using pineapple sounds like a great idea! your cake must be very yummy. :-)

Melissa B said...

Wow, Janell! I was just wondering if I could turn it into a dutch oven recipe, as we've been having fun with the outdoor dutch ovens lately! This is cool!

Melissa B said...

Awesome, Janell! I was just wondering if it could be done in the great outdoors in a dutch oven... looks delicious.

The Mortensens said...

Melissa,

I'm not sure...probably? I don't think I've baked anything in a dutch oven since girls camp!

Mary said...

Wow--that's a lot of baking! Everything looks fantastic, but the pineapple was an inspired addition!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what it would taste like with rum AND pineapple - great tropical flavors! Everything looks delicious

Sarah said...

I can vouch for this cake. It was absolutely delicious!!

The Mortensens said...

Thanks Sarah!

Susan said...

Pineapple and almond sounds fabulous! I will have to try that combo next time I make this recipe!