Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday's with Dorie: Fifteen Minute Magic--Chocolate Amaretti Torte


Today's TWD recipe was chosen by Holly of Phe/MOM/enon--Chocolate Amaretti Torte.  For those of you unfamiliar with Amaretti, it's an Italian cookie made of finely ground almonds, egg whites, and sugar.  

I'd have to say that it took me longer than 15 minutes to make this torte.  First of all, I couldn't find any Amaretti at the commisary, and heaven forbid I drive around Kaiserslautern in attempt to find an Italian specialty shop.  :)  Plus, I'd have to scrounge around for some Euro--this is too much trouble for  a magical 15-minute cake.  So, I made the Amaretti instead. 

Then, you're supposed to use a food processor to grind up the ingredients.  Since I don't own one, I used both my blender and my Kitchen Aid.  It work, but it took a bit longer.

This torte reminds me a lot of marzipan--I guess it's all that ground up almond.  It tastes pretty good after being chilled in the refrigerator for a while despite the use of Dorie's favorite kind of chocolate: DARK.  

The almond whip cream tastes great!  Having no plan in mind before I started, I just ended up covering the whole torte in it.  After all, I didn't want to waste any of it by only putting a dollop on each slice.

I'm taking this torte to a lunch bunch tomorrow.  We'll see what other ladies think of it!

4 comments:

chocolatechic said...

It looks good.

Cristine said...

I had to get my amaretti at the Neukoff. Good for you for making your own! :) Looks yummy!

Teanna said...

I hope the ladies loved it at brunch! It looks great!

TeaLady said...

Good for you for making your own cookies. That looks wonderful.