Baking From My Home to Yours is a wonderful recipe book unlike any I've seen before. It has stories and comment behind the recipes, and a section called "playing around" that gives ideas of how to change things or use leftovers in another delightfully delicious way. I was also interested to read that Dories sole baking experience until she was a junior in college was burning down her parent's kitchen when she was thirteen. That gave me a lot of hope.
Thinking back, my first memorable baking experience was with my then best friend, Sadie Jenkins. We were probably nine or ten when we decided we wanted to make chocolate mousse. We were so excited at the prospect of eating something that sounded so delectable. I don't think I had actually ever eaten chocolate mousse in life to that point. After a lot of measuring and mixing, our masterpiece was complete. The only problem was...it was totally disgusting! We ended up dumping it in the empty lot next door. Since then I haven't baked a lot. I did take some cake decorating classes in 2002, but I've only decorated three cakes since then. So now my baking journey begins again. Today was my first Tuesday with Dorie. It was a great experience!
Preparing the pan.
The only problem I had was my spring form pan was ten inches instead of eight. Although I baked it for less time than was required, it was probably a little too long still as the cake is a bit dry.

Melting the butter and chocolate without a double broiler!


8 comments:
Hey, I was also thinking of joining Dorie on Tuesday's. Looks like fun and a challenge to boot. Thanks for the cake wreck blog. I spent a good amount of time on there, laughing and trying to hold my dinner, so NO yours doesn't qualify for cake wrecks. Nothing is worse than dirt cake!
That dirt cake was great, wasn't it?
You should join Tuesdays with Dorie! The recipe book is great, and the group is fun. They are only accepting members until the 31st of this month because the number of people of people joining is getting difficult for them to keep up with. So keep that in mind!
Oh my gosh Janell my friend Cristine does TWD. You should check out her cooking blog it's FABULOUS!!!! I reap the benifits too when she cooks for me! :) http://cristinecooks.blogspot.com/ That's so awesome that you're getting into it! I would love to do one of those baking challenges one day!
Monica,
Your friend is the one who totally inspired me. I even added her blog to my list already! You should try sometime it too. It's a lot of fun!
Welcome to TWD!!!! You will have so much fun with the group!
By the way, we have totally met! I am the girl from the polish pottery party who was pregnant with a boy (Eric). We had a discussion about spelling it with a c or k. :) Of course, he is 4 months old now!
I got cardamom from the Baumholder commissary. :)
Looking forward to reading your blog!
Welcome to TWD! Glad you liked this!
Welcome to TWD! Your cake is lovely, and I'm sure you'll find yourself learning something with each recipe. I know I have! Also collecting baking dishes in every possible size and shape. For this week, I went to Marshall's and found an 8" springform for $4. It's a very useful size, I've found. For other things (like creme brulee) I didn't bother to get the special dishes.
Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs
Barbara and n.o.e.,
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I look forward to seeing your blogs/posts.
Post a Comment