Saturday, October 11, 2008

Mini Florida Pies with Meringue Topping

For Enrichment night last month, a service auction was held. One of the services I offered was a dessert. The lucky winner wanted a dessert for a baby shower she was holding. She said one of the colors was green. Immediately I thought about these Mini Key Lime Pies I saw on someone's baking blog. I thought they were very cute and looked tasty.



I enjoyed making the these treats. I used Dorie's Florida Pie recipe and my Pampered Chef mini muffin pan. The biggest problem I had was with the meringue. I've never done it the way that Dorie suggests, heating the eggs and sugar on the stove and then putting it in a bowl and mixing it until it reaches room temperature. I'm sure I didn't do it right, because after about 30 minutes of mixing and some improvisation on my part, it still wasn't a meringue. I think the problem was that the recipe says to get the eggs and sugar hot. Frankly I don't want to touch any food that is on the stove to see if it's hot. I did that once with some brown sugar, and I have never had such a painful burn in my life. So I turned to Better Homes and Gardens and the meringue turned out great. All in all, the recipe made 24 mini pies plus six regular muffin-sized pies for my family to sample.


I am so glad I made some for my family, because this is one tasty treat I'll be making again. They are especially good when they are chilled like the recipe states!

2 comments:

Cristine said...

I love minis!!!

I picked up some cardamom for you today. I will have Monica bring it to church on Sunday. :)

The Mortensens said...

Thank you so much Cristine! I can't wait to make those cardamom cookies you blogged about a couple of weeks ago.