Sunday, May 13, 2012

Violin Recital


Today, we had our violin recital.  It was Jonathan's first one.  I was so proud of him.  He was nervous at first.  When he got up there he said, "I don't know any of these people." And headed straight up the aisle towards me.   Looking back, I now realize that when we told him it would be at the church in the primary room and that family and friends could be invited, he was imagining standing in HIS primary room with his friends from the ward.  I should have known when he said, "This isn't our church, " as we drove up to the chapel.

We convinced him to do it by telling him that Ella and I would go up with him.  There was one part that he stalled on (the other pauses are intentional--he's learning how to set up his fingers while crossing strings).  He was on the right note, but I think he just got a little nervous.  He regrouped and finished the piece.

He played, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" with the rhythm, "Mrs. Twinkle Stop, Stop."

I am also taking lessons.  I learned in a group and will always be grateful for the exposure, but I always tell people who are considering putting their child into an orchestra class to get a private teacher instead!  And a good one too.  I still have bad habits that I am trying to change.  I have improved a lot, but I have a LONG ways to go.

This recital was good for me because I was able to play without fear.  I attribute it to a good teacher, good preparation and prayer.  So, yes, there were some notes that weren't perfectly in tune and a couple of short memory blocks, but it didn't phase me.  I was surprised at how confident I felt.  The more I played, the more relaxed I became.  Obviously, I'm no  Itzhak Perlman or Jenny Oaks Baker, but I'm happy with how I felt during the recital.  (Not quite as happy when I listened to the recording though.  :P)

Please, listen to Jonathan's piece, but don't listen to mine.  I'll feel self-conscious and embarrassed.  I expect more of myself.  I only added my pieces to this blog for my own sake.

I played Gavotte by Gossec and Dance Suite by Telemann as a violin/viola duet with my teacher.



Here we are with Maren Wunderli, our teacher.  She's so awesome and talented!  We are very blessed to have her teach us.

2 comments:

Maree Allred said...

Bravo!!! To both of you! Yes, Janell, I did keep listening, and you did wonderfully! I'm so proud of you for wanting to keep learning and improving. Now you can start teaching me how to use my violin again! :)

The Mortensens said...

I should have known that warning wouldn't stop the likes of you! ;)
Thanks though!

I thought you were already taking lessons?