Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Post First-Day-of-School Interview

As promised, here is the interview I had with Jonathan after his first day of kindergarten:


In the past five weeks I have have seen him mature and become more interested in learning.  He has a GREAT teacher.  I love that every time I ask to see his work or what he learned that he replies, "We don't work, we just play and have fun."  GOOD I say!  Otherwise he might not be willing to learn as much as he is.  I hear things trickle out of him that they learned during the day.  He'll sing a song, nursery rhyme, or talk about a math or science principle like magnets or patterns.
Ready for the First Day of School

Jonathan at Canyon Ridge

Jonathan and Erik in front of Jonathan's classroom.


His school does the Investigations math program and I am so excited to see how it turns out.  I honestly think if it is taught well, then it is a superior math philosophy.  It was very controversial in the Alpine School District when I was a teacher there.  Although my school was one of the few that had not yet implemented the program, I learned about it while studying Elementary Education at BYU.  I think the program is largely misunderstood by parents because it is vastly different than the math philosophy we grew up with.  Now that I am on the other side of the coin, it'll be interesting to see how I like it.

Waiting for Miss Querry

What five-year-old wouldn't want to play with play dough first thing?  What a smart teacher.
When Jonathan sat down and started  playing with his play dough, he asked, "What about Erik?"
"Erik isn't staying."  I had to tell him.  "This is your class."  When Erik, Ella and I left the school and got into the minivan, Erik asked, "Where's Jonathan, where's Jonathan?"  When I told him he had to stay in his class Erik replied, "I will miss him after all."

Miss Querry

He LOVES riding the bus.



Now, just for kicks and giggles, I will post a video that Jonathan made of himself.  I found it while going through my pictures.

No comments: