Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie: All-American, All-Delicious, Apple Pie

I've been wanting to make this pie for a while.  It was my first pick before Emily of Sandmuffin beat me to it.  :)  Anyhow, pies are not easy for me to make and they are something I want to master.  Who can resist an apple pie?



Well, again, Dorie did not disappoint!  I loved this pie, and so did my husband and kids.  Landon liked it more than he thought he would.  Apple isn't his favorite kind of pie.  He also thought that it looked like one you'd see in a bakery (I'd have to disagree on that.  I haven't yet mastered making my baked goods look beautiful).   In any case, it made me feel really good.  :)

I used three different kinds of apples.  I can't remember which ones I used now, but it gave the pie added flavor and texture.  The pie crust was flaky and delicious as usual.  I couldn't even tell that there was tapioca mix and graham cracker crumbs (used to soak up the filling) in the pie.  The combination of flavors was delicious.  This pie will be making my table this holiday season!

If you'd like to try this pie, check out Emily's blog for the recipe.

Also, guess what?  I met Dorie!  I went to a cooking class she taught here in San Antonio.  She is SO nice.   I'll blog more on this later when I get the pictures from my friend.  My camera ran out of batteries after a couple of shots.

4 comments:

Linda said...

So cool that you got to meet Dorie! I still can't believe that her tour didn't includ Los Angeles...maybe next time.

Glad to hear that the pie was a winner. I loved it!

Tia said...

i am green with envy that you got to see DOrie! Her tour never made it up to Canada :(
xoxo Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

Flourchild said...

What a cute picture of Dorie! So cool you got to meet her! Your pie looks great! I love apple pie!

Maree Allred said...

How fun, Janell! And that pie looks great!