Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday's with Dorie: Brrrrrrownies


I was really looking forward to making these brownies.  The recipe caught my eye several times before it was chosen and I thought it was a brilliant combination: York Peppermint Patties and brownies.  Soon after it was chosen, I bought the ingredients and made them right away.  Now, I should know from past experience that butter is like baking glue when it comes to cakey treats.  Brownies are cakey.  So of course they stuck to the aluminum foil that Dorie instructed us to cover the baking dish with.

This was not the only problem I encountered.  When I checked the brownies at 30 minutes they were far from done.  I baked them probably twice as long as the written recipe.  And then there was the taste.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I thought it would be.  It was as if the Peppermint Pattie was not meant to be baked.

When I was at the store buying chocolate for the Tarte Noire,  I spotted a dark chocolate with peppermint oil.  That's kind of the same idea as a York Peppermint Pattie, I figured, so I  decided to make the brrrrownies again.  This time I baked them without aluminum foil, with a little flour in the pan, a little less chocolate, a little more sugar and the new peppermint-oil chocolate.  I also added walnuts because I like them in my brownies.

The result?  They baked up nicely in 30 minutes, they didn't stick to the pan and they tasted grrrrrrrreat!

Thanks to Karen of Our Crazy Blessed Life for choosing this recipe.  Hop on over and check out her blog.  You'll be able to find the recipe there too.

8 comments:

Peggy the Baker said...

I like your peppermint oil idea. I'll try that next time! I couldn't find York mini-bites so used York Pieces instead. The color was astounding.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Glad these turned out the better the second time! :) Thanks for baking with me this week!

Tia said...

nice job with the oil idea

Kimberly Johnson said...

Thanks for posting your modifications! I made the recipe as written and my brownies were underdone and I stuck to the foil like mad!

Susan said...

Glad your second try worked out better than the first. They look great! :)

Rachel said...

oooh yum that chocolate sounds delish!

Pamela said...

Well, they look fantastic. That second version with the nuts sounds wonderful.

Becky Clinton said...

Did you know that when using flour and shortening in a pan to keep a cake from sticking, if you are baking a chocolate cake - or brrrrrrownies - you can used cocoa powder and then you don't have that white residue on the bottoms.