Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day


Go figure that the year I actually have coordinating shirts and flip-flops for the 4th of July, I don't even take any pictures!  We did have a good time celebrating our independence though.   The Saturday ward breakfast was cancelled due to rain from hurricane Alex, but Sunday was very nice, sunny day.  We went to a friend's house for a pie party (see the TWD post for more details).  Then we drove home just in time to get the boys ready for bed and to watch the fireworks from our family room window.  How convenient!

I think the best thing that Landon and I did this year to celebrate was reading the Declaration of Independence.  We also let the kids watch the episode "The First Fourth of July" from the Liberty Kids series.  The 4th has always been one of my favorite holidays.  Now Landon and I want to make it even more meaningful.  We want to teach our children the history and the importance of the day.

This year, Landon and I have resolved to read the eighty-five Federalist Papers, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.  How many of you have read those things?  I find it odd that it isn't required reading at every high school!

No comments: