Thursday, September 3, 2009

Have A New Kid By Friday



I read the best parenting book the other day: Have A New Kid By Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman. Not only does the author have great advice, he has a great sense of humor too. I'm also reading his book How to Make Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours. I like it so far, but it doesn't hold a candle to the other one--in my opinion.

So, some of you must be wondering if I'm loosing my mind or better yet, if I now have angels for children? No. I am not loosing my mind, although sometimes it feels like it. Those of you who have powerful or strong-willed children surely know what I mean. I know I have to educate myself before they turn into defiant, disrespectful, or high maintenence (yet generally good) children. I have often been amazed to see that anyone--nice, normal, and even really cool people--can have children who act like that.

As far as improvement in behavior is concerned, I have seen positive changes. The hardest part has been altering my own behavior. It's not easy breaking my old parenting style habits.

This book is worth reading over and over again until the advice becomes second nature. I would recommend it to parents of children of all ages.

1 comment:

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

Interesting. I'll have to check it out since age 3 is turning out to be WAY worse than what 2 ever thought of being. : )