Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday's with Dorie: Honey-Wheat Cookies


When I first read this title, I assumed these cookies would be made with wheat flour.  They're not.  They have wheat germ added to the mix and they are rolled in it just before baking.  What is wheat germ you ask?  It's a part of the wheat kernel and it is very rich in vitamins and minerals.  It is also very high in protein. So, needless to say, I was excited to make these cookies since they are somewhat healthy.

I was not disappointed.  They are sweet, chewy and easy to make.  I do have to admit that they taste better the longer they sit.  When these cookies are eaten right away, the honey is a bit over-powering.  As I am finding out, many baked goods taste better once they've had a while to settle--these cookies included.

Thanks, Michelle of Flourchild, for choosing this week's recipe.  It was a hit at our house.  Please visit her blog.  You can find the recipe there or you can buy the book Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.  Have a great week!

5 comments:

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed the cookies, they look great! Thank you for baking along with me this week.
I had not checked my blog post and just realized there was no spacing at all..I had to go back and edit it!

Susan said...

Your cookies look great! I really liked these. I had my doubts, but they were unfounded. :)

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

My mouth is watering.

Kayte said...

Love the cookies all stacked up like that...my boys like to stack cookies on their kneecaps and prop the book up against their legs when they are studying. Reminded me of that. Your cookies look great. I loved these, so perfect with a cup of tea as the honey and lemon are already built right in. What a deal!

TeaLady said...

These were good, weren't they. They did tend to grow on ya.

They look yummy!