I believe we made the highly-anticipated adventure in January. The year was 2007 and Jonathan was just a year old. We went with a company called Enjoy Tours. We toured Paris with them and had an absolutely fabulous time.
We started our trip at a park and ride in the evening with plans to travel through the night sleeping peacefully on the large tour bus. As we began our journey, the tour guide bragged that Prague was the "Paris of the East" and that it was perhaps the most beautiful city in Europe. I was a bit skeptical since I thought Paris was so extraordinary, but I figured it must be fabulous. As the bus rolled on, the evening turned to dusk and people began to settle down to try to get some rest.
Unfortunately, Jonathan had other plans. Sleep? Yeah, right! He was just as excited to start his own little adventure on a great big bus. He did not sleep through the night, and in an attempt to keep the other passengers from hating us, we tried our best to keep him quiet all night long. We walked the aisle of the bus many times that night in a vain attempt to help him fall asleep. With no success, we had very little sleep by the time we arrived in Prague.
When we arrived it was raining, and it was cold. Needless to say, the trip wasn't the fabulously exotic trip I imagined it to be. I left thinking that Prague was not that great. Now when I look back at the pictures, I think that the city didn't get a fair chance to show its glory. Maybe someday we will go back again. But I can assure you it'll be in the summer and without small children!
The best part about the trip was shopping for crystal. We bought some beautiful glasses that have a very typical design for that area. I do love my crystal glasses, so the trip was definitely worth it!

The Church of Our Lady Before Tyn. The church is 600 years old an example of Gothic architecture.

This astronomical clock is in the Old Town Square. Parts of it date all the way back to the 1400s. Every hour figures emerge from the clock.

I liked the music that this man was playing on this unique-looking instrument.


Interior of St. Vitus Cathedral.


The four pictures below: Outside of Prague Castle.






A view of the city with St. Nicholas church on the left.


I believe this is Vitus Cathedral.

Unfortunately we did not get to see the Old Jewish Cemetery because it was Saturday which is the Jewish Sabbath. Looking back I wish I could have a "do-over" with Prague. The city has so much to offer.
(As a side note, Jonathan asked me why I was taking pictures of the glasses. I ended up telling him about our trip to Prague and how he didn't want to sleep etc. He scrunched up his face and replied, "I no way happy about that!" )
5 comments:
My grandfather served his mission in Czechlosavakia (did I spell that right?) and I've always thought it was a beautiful and interesting place . . .thanks for confirming that.
Janelle, how funny is this, we are leaving to go to Prague tomorrow. i think that we too will be pretty chilly but hopefully we will have a good experience, we will have kids though . . . ;) thanks for giving us an appetizer!
Leslie, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I cannot wait to see your pictures. You always take such fabulous ones!
What a great trip! Ilove the pictures!
When I backpacked Europe a few years back Prague was my absolute favorite city.. I adored it
Post a Comment