Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday's with Dorie: Chocolate Armagnac Cake--The Cake That Got Me Fired


At the beginning of Dorie's career, she got fired from working as a pastery chef in a famous NY restaurant for "creative insubordination," i.e. changing a famous recipe because she was bored making the same thing over and over again.  I guess that's why I felt fine about changing this recipe. 

First of all, I wasn't about to go buy Armagnac.  I don't drink alcohol and neither does my husband, so why should I?  Secondly, I didn't have prunes, so I opted for raisins since that is what the original recipe called for.  Since I changed the fruit back to the original recipe, I figure I'd change the nuts back to the original recipe too (almonds).  Dorie, of course, called for dark chocolate, and I followed that part of the recipe because I wanted to get rid of my dark chocolate supply.

So what's the verdict?  I actually liked it despite that fact that I don't prefer to eat dark chocolate.  I can't wait to try it again.  It seems like most desserts taste even better once they have had a chance to sit for a while.

Once again, please visit the Tuesday's with Dorie blog and click on the link to And then I do the dishes by LiB to see what she thought of the dessert and if you wish to see the recipe.  Thanks LiB for choosing a delicious dessert with an interesting story besides!

6 comments:

chocolatechic said...

So glad that you liked it.

Nathan and Amy said...

The snow looks like fun, but I'm glad that I am here where the temp is in the 70's. :-) Cute kids!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you loved it! Most desserts do taste better the next day!

Linda said...

Would definitely agree that this gets better after it sits. Great job on your cake!

Leslie said...

I can't seem to get past the combo of raisens and chocolate. Seems like an oxymoron =) BUT I could see how it would make it more moist. Every chocolate cake I have made from scratch is better the next day. Everything else like carrot, spice, banana, dries out which is weird because they have a higher water content. Go figure . . . By the way, you are doing great with these Tuesday's!

Krista said...

I think you need to bring taste tests to church! I'll sit behind you every week then! Ha. It looked delish!