Monday, November 24, 2008

On This Day You Have Been Spared

My body feels tight and tense. My back is sore. My legs ache. My abs have been strained, and my arms feel the aftermath of a near tragedy. But I am grateful because today I have witnessed divine intervention in the lives of my two little boys. To you, Jonathan and Erik, my dear boys, I write this post. Someday you will be able to read it and know that the Lord has sparred you from great injury and quite possibly from death.

This weekend we have experienced a fair amount of snow. On Saturday, your Dad and I picked you up from a friends house after eating in a restaurant near Hirshhorn. During the dinner, the snow began to fall as it had earlier in the day. By the time we got you into the car, there was snow and ice on the ground. You won't remember this, but the house we live in is on a hill with a long, narrow road winding to it. On the way back we were stuck three times. Two times we were bailed out by other Americans. There weren't any Germans driving in our village that night. The last time we ended up parking in some kind person's driveway and walking home. Monday morning (today) I looked out the window and saw that it was snowing again. Having no desire to drive in the snow I decided not to take you, Jonathan, to preschool. Instead I envisioned a fun day at home, cleaning up, baking cookies, and playing in the snow.



Snowy Day: View From the Kitchen

Snowy Day: View From the Backyard

Jonathan, as usual you were full of energy and enjoying playing with and bossing Erik around. You two ended up coming into Mommy and Daddy's room to play. In our room we have a very large and beautiful black chest of drawers with a marble top. It's quite heavy. I would guess that it's at least two hundred pounds empty.

As I stepped out of my bedroom to throw in a load of laundry, Jonathan, you started to pull out the drawers. I normally stop you right away so that you don't make a mess or break anything, but for some reason I didn't say anything. As I started the washer in the room next door I heard a great thud. At that instant I knew that something terrible had happened. I don't clearly recall any screams, but I do remember Erik crying, although I'm not sure if it was right away.

Since the laundry room is so close to our bedroom it only took a couple of seconds for me to enter the room. Upon entering, to my shock, I saw that the entire chest of drawers had fallen on top of both of you. I can't even write this without crying. I don't know if the image will ever leave me. I never dreamed that such a heavy, sturdy piece of furniture would tip over like that. I can only guess that you were trying to climb up the draws.

I immediately lifted the dresser as high as I could. Thankfully Erik crawled out right away and although you were crying intensely, I knew you were all right. Erik, you were on the opposite side of the one I was lifting, and Jonathan you were right under where I was. I could only see the bottom half of your body. I was screaming your name frantically hoping you could get out because it was all I could do to lift up the dresser. I also hoped that Alexandra, who is like a grandmother to you boys and who lives in an accessory apartment in our house, would hear me and come to our aid. I just kept wondering if she was home and if she could hear me screaming.

I finally decided I would have to try to pull you out. Looking back at it now, I'm not sure you knew which way was out. Somehow (and I'm not really sure how now) I held the dresser with my left hand and tried to push in the drawers. Then I tugged on your leg. And that is what did it for you. You wiggled out from under the dresser just as Alexandra came to see what was happening. I honestly cannot say how I kept the dresser off of you enough not to crush you while I pulled on your leg.



This is the chest of drawers. Strangely enough, not even the vase broke. In fact, it landed upright.

I was shaking and crying after it was all over. Alexandra was very comforting and I am glad she came. She later told me that at first she tried to ignore the screams thinking that I was just scolding Jonathan. She later heard me scream, "Help!" I don't recall screaming that, although I was thinking that I should. All that I can remember is screaming, "Jonathan" and wondering if I should scream for Alexandra specifically. I just didn't know what to do.

All you were concerned about afterwards, Jonathan, was the candy cane that fell out of Daddy's top drawer.




Of course I must mention that you did say, "I sorry Mama" several times. No Jonathan, I'm sorry.

All you and Erik have is one scratch each, not even deep enough for blood. The only blood I saw was from a little scab on your face, Erik, that came off. You both have been hurt worse falling onto our tile floor. I'm still in shock and awe over the whole experience.

The two of you that night. The scratches on your faces are from other injuries.


You can't even see the scratch it's so light. (Later on a small bruise developed around the scratch.)

We truly experienced a miracle today. Your Grandma McEwen prays everyday for angels to watch over us and that no harm may befall us. You were sparred this day. I am so grateful that you two are safe from harm and that I still have the chance to raise you.


Besides knowing that your father and I love you, the thing I want you to learn the most is that your Heavenly Father loves you. I want you to grow up and have a strong relationship with Him and with our Savior, Jesus Christ. You will not always be sparred pain, because we have come to this Earth to understand that there are opposites. Good and evil. Pleasure and pain. But choosing to follow the plan of our Heavenly Father will allow you to experience the most joy and peace in your life. Know that prayers are heard and answered. Use prayer as a tool to build strong ties with your Father in Heaven. We are blessed to be a family whose ties go beyond the grave. We have been sealed together in a Holy Temple allowing us to have that privilege.

You were not the only ones who were sparred today. If anything had happened to either of you today, I don't know how I would have been able to live with the guilt. This whole experience almost seems surreal to me now. Like it was all a bad nightmare.

11 comments:

Gretchen and Erick said...

Oh my goodness! How terrifying. Thank goodness they are both alright!

Nina said...

Thank you for sharing this. Loren and I are very grateful it worked out as the miracle it did. It is a good opportunity for us to re-evaluate our priorities. Hugs to all of you!
Loren, Nina and Ethan

Cristine said...

How scary!!! I am so glad that the boys are okay. Lots of hugs for you all.

Leslie said...

Janell, I'm so glad you all are all right. I had a similar experience with my four year old a couple of weeks ago when she fell down our marble staircase. I can relate to the dread and terror of realizing something terrible has just happened to your child. Mine, two came away with just a small bruise on her chin but really should have been hurt badly. How lucky we are to have angels watching over our children. I hope your heart has recovered! What a jump start!

Jeanette said...

Wow, Janell, what a blessing. I cried while I was reading it. I am so glad Heavenly Father sent His angels to bear you up as you lifted that dresser. You are a wonderful mother and your testimony is so touching. Thank you for sharing it with me.

The McBride Family said...

That is so scary Janell! I'm so glad they are both okay!! We missed you Sunday!!

seanandmichelle said...

Janell I am so glad that everything turned out okay. I can't image what terror you must have felt.

Rob & Michelle Eberly Family said...

I can't imagine little Janell being able to lift that dresser?!?! What a miracle. I'm glad you and the boys are okay! Auf Wiedersehen

Cherie said...

What a miracle. You always hear of those moments of adrenaline when someone can suddenly lift a car, or in your case a dresser! I've heard stories like this that have a much sadder ending and I'm glad yours ended with hugs and apologies (and a piece of candy).

Lindsay said...

Wow, what a terrifying experience. That would be one of my worst nightmares. Thank goodness they weren't hurt. You must be living right.

Anonymous said...

Nellita,
This is the second time to post a comment, the first one, for some reason, did not go through. Hopefully this one will. I thank God every day, and ask Him to send his holy angels to watch over and protect you and your family. He truly does answers my prayers. This terrifying experience you had with the boys proves it. My heart is full of gratitude for His goodness and mercy towards us. Life can get pretty scary sometimes, but with his help and support we can get through rough times. I am thankful that you are all OK, and that no harm came to the boys. Take care, Love you lots! Mom