Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Original Sin

Last night I was listening to NPR on the way home from the store. The lady being interviewed was a professor of law at Harvard. They were discussing the Barack Obama campaign. One of the conversations went something like this:

Interviewer: If we don't elect Barack Obama, what does that say about us as a nation?

Professor: It means that we are not ready to get past this country's original sin of slavery.

She had more to say but after that statement I couldn't help but think that she was making the Obama campaign into a race issue.

Here's a question for the professor: What if people happen to disagree with his policies? Now there's a new line of thought.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

You said it. Mark just finished reading "Audacity of Hope" and found it to be a really interesting read, a way to get to know him politically and personally. It is on my "to read" list. By the way, Jonathon is a whoot . . . cold water is just painful in my book.

seanandmichelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
seanandmichelle said...

I forgot to put this is Sean.
Unfortunately, I have heard much the same thing in other things I have read (ie that if Obama loses it will be because we are still a racist country). In my view, it will simply be proof that Obama is an incredibly weak candidate. Arguably the weakest presidential nominee in decades, on the merits. Hillary Clinton would have beaten McCain soundly, while Obama will be lucky to win at all. Think of Obama, Dukakis, Mondale, Gore. The dems just don't know how to pick a candidate who can win a general election (Clinton being the obvious exception).